Saturday, April 26, 2008

What A Girl Needs In The Hospital

I had the best night's sleep I've had in a long time last night! Today the girls had a really fun play date with Hannah and Sarah while I hauled some dirt for my folks. Then we went shopping for some "hospital" things...soft nightgowns (we only have pajamas and I didn't think elastic would be good on an incision), some green nail polish?, you just never know what you might need on an overnight at the hospital! We did escape Target without the new game of LIFE...as life goes, so goes LIFE...now you get a credit card, you can get married as many times as you want, and you strive to get more and more degrees to earn more money. I think we'll keep our really old version!

I just discovered this evening that her big bear is wearing her bathrobe because it doesn't fit anymore. Her animals actually wear a lot of her clothing even if it does fit, so it's hard to know whether things fit Aspen or just the stuffed animal that happens to be wearing it! We'll pack a sweatshirt instead and it won't get all tangled in the covers.

I was gifted with a stack of new magazines that I never would have bought for myself today, thanks Mom!! It's odd, since I have worked in hospitals I am really good at telling Aspen all the technical stuff...we talk about her IV every day. And tonight we talked about waking up after surgery and how sometimes the anesthesia makes children afraid when they wake up, like spending the night at a friend's house and forgetting where you are for a second when you wake up in the morning. But Mom and Dad will be right there, and if she is afraid she needs to hold still and not panic and thrash around because she's going to be on a bed that's kind of high up with metal rails that could hurt her, and above all else she might pull out her IV and then she would have to be poked again. (Anything but that!!!)

But I'm not very good at knowing what I will need, everyone else seems to have a much better handle on that than I do. I keep getting really great advice from lots of people who have been there before me. Just keep emailing and asking if I have packed __________, or thought about __________, or share your encouraging hospital story!! I'll probably remember my toothbrush and underwear, but I have gone on vacation before and left my entire bag behind, I'm not to be trusted to pack for myself!

No comments: