Saturday, April 5, 2008

Taking Care

Aspen took care of herself yesterday afternoon...yes, it's a big deal!! I don't know if it's because she was really exhausted, or she just felt comfortable asking to leave. She didn't want to go with the other girls to play, she just wanted to go home and rest. I am so glad she could make that decision for herself and I didn't have to tell her it was time to go. I haven't told her, "you need to rest" or "it's time to go" yet, we have just talked about how she feels and I keep asking her to take care of herself. I want her to ask to leave or rest if she is tired...she is finally getting it...hooray. I really, really don't ever want any of this stuff...eating, resting, etc. to become a point of struggle for power in our relationship. I tell her when I think things are a good or bad idea, what the potential outcomes are for her choices, and then I let her make the choices...so far, so good!!

Getting rest and eating right are just critical right now and if I start telling her she has to do something she might very well tell me she's not going to, or do just the opposite of what I'm telling her to do. I want her to feel in charge of her body and her life, I don't want her to struggle to wrest control of her life from me, she is already struggling to have control over her pancreas that is out of her control.

Today was terrific, our friends Laura and Dennis and their kids had us over for lunch...they are vegan. She whipped up all kinds of good things that the girls both loved. They played board games afterwards, which was just the right speed for Aspen (who normally can't sit still through one board game, let alone 3!). It was very restful to not have to cook a meal, and not have to worry about Aspen getting worn out.

Laura gave me a great book, The China Study, that is about the health benefits of veganism...what is the right word here, veganality, veganness? Anyway, it would be interesting for anyone who is curious about veganism, who wants a scientific study and not the hippy well being talk.

3 comments:

beachbirdie said...

I am continuing to pray for you guys! I am so glad you have this blog so we can keep up with you even if we are not part of your daily lives.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aspen! I'm SOOO glad you guys finally have an answer for what's been happening with you!!!! You are ALWAYS in my prayers!!!!

Hidden Jewel said...

That is so great she has the maturity to regulate her activity/food.