Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hospital Vacation

Still working on things from this end...we need to schedule a place to stay while Aspen has her surgery. I have learned a lot once again! We don't really qualify for the Ronald McDonald house, and I'm not sure they would want us coming and going at all hours. I always thought everyone stayed there when their kids were having surgery...but it only holds 16 families, you need a referral from a social worker and you can't make reservations, you just have to see if it's available when you get there. Not to mention it's geared towards families with little kids...there is a giant Sully monster from Monster's Inc. in the living room, little tykes tables in the kitchen and a big play room with lots of toddler toys. Most people cook for themselves in the kitchen and share bathrooms. I would feel guilty hogging up a room that a young family really needed!

I think it will need to be a nearby hotel...we just need a place to crash for a few hours a night where we won't disturb people in the middle of the night when we come in. There is a bed and breakfast, but I can't see them wanting us coming and going in the wee hours either. I imagine staying with Aspen until she is REALLY asleep...midnight or later and coming back to the hospital prior to shift change at 7am. One of us might leave earlier and the other stay later, so it would be nice if it were walkable.

I am trying to schedule a tour of the hospital the day we see the surgeon. Hopefully Aspen will feel more comfortable. She is getting a little nervous, and insists she doesn't want a tour because it's all "machines and tubes". I think it will be a much brighter, happier place than our local hospital, which must think tiny windows and multiple shades of khaki are restful. They have big play rooms for all ages and encourage journaling, scrapbooking and art/collage making for her age group after surgery. We are waiting on a call back on that one.

This is a lot of work! Who knew it involved vacation planning?!! I just want to call a travel agent and book the Children's Hospital Package complete with hospital tour, shuttle to the hospital, and get well card on the pillow at night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia-
Do you have surgery date for Aspen set? I know you are meeting with the doc next week. Will you let me know as soon as you know. I would be happy to come down and help out/hang out for a day or two, if you'll let me. Same goes for when have your surgery.
Uncle Dave

Family Roots said...

I hope the details fall into place very soon! I'm thinking of Aspen (and you all).