Saturday, March 15, 2008

REAL. LIFE.

We went yesterday with our Girl Scout troop to the REAL. LIFE. exhibit at Medical Teams Northwest. They depict people in 8 different countries where life is horrible...war refugees, dump dwellers, orphanages, etc. I was a little apprehensive because life has been really real around here lately!!

It was hard to watch my 11 year old girl stand and read about the 11 year old girl who's parents were murdered by the LRA in Unganda. She, like hundreds of other little girls, was taken to be a "personal" slave and has escaped with her baby. Wow! We are privileged...to live where we do, have wonderful medical care, many, many food choices and so much more!

We went to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch before visiting the exhibit...I thought Aspen would be excited that she got to eat out at a restaurant. Not many serve anything she can eat other than salad, and most don't have any dressing she can eat to put on the salad. Instead of being excited, she was really focussed on what she couldn't have. I wished we could have seen the exhibit first. I think it kind of put things in perspective....there are kids who only get to eat what others have thrown away as garbage days before.

The reality is that she will probably have to eat a vegan diet for the rest of her life in order to survive....that is the matter of fact statement. I want our reality to be a bit richer though, I want her to look at this change as an adventure! It is like moving to a foreign country and trying the foods a little at a time and getting used to new flavors. I'm not exactly sure why vegan food has to taste like sticks and twigs (Ken's comment), but so often it does! Nora suggested that Aspen write a cookbook...it would be wonderful to have a litany of flavorful recipes...maybe she will!!

4 comments:

Hidden Jewel said...

"Stick and twigs" - that is so funny! a cookbook sounds like a great idea.

The exhibit sounds very sobering.

Anonymous said...

Actually you could name it "Not Just Sticks and Twigs"-
Sal

Joy said...

There's a gentleman who I met recently who is a vegan....he looks like a stick and a twig...well, not both because you might think he's as big as both and he's not!!

Aspen, you're a very cute stick ... or twig...you pick!

Dominican_Girl_33 said...

I'm sorry to hear about Aspen and her being sick but I know God is too big to not be in control of this situation. I'm praying for her and your family too. I'm not sure if she remembers me, but if she does from AWANA, say hi for me. -Natalie Pickett