Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chance Meeting

I recently took up rug hooking...not latch-hook from the 70's...rug hooking where it is a smooth carpet of loops on top. It's what you could call an early American art. Anyway, since I don't have clue what I am doing, I have been meeting with a group a couple nights a month and I get feedback and get to see what "real" rug hookers do. They have some really beautiful things they are working on!

By chance I sat next to a lady last night who has a daughter with a paralyzed stomach...so we visited about gastroenterologists, and how long it takes to get a diagnosis, and eating food in foreign countries. Which led to a conversation about Cystic Fibrosis. I always thought people who had Cystic Fibrosis died before the age of 30 of solidified internal organs. She said there are many more people in the world with Cystic Fibrosis than know it. She has a friend who is 55 and just figured out that her life-long battle with asthma is a very mild form of Cystic Fibrosis. It was a very helpful and hopeful chance meeting...55 is a ripe old age for having a terminal disease.

It's amazing, you never know who will cross your path and what they will bring to your life!

2 comments:

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Oh I am so glad you started rug hooking. This form of artwork has become a passion for me and I am so excited to hear that there are more and more people trying there hand at this fiber art. Happy hooking to you.

JoEllen

LEslie Bradner said...

We are keeping Aspen and your family in our prayers and thoughts.