Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Is Freud Overrated?

I was so distracted by all the thoughts racing through my head...will Ken have a job tomorrow, will Aspen be all right, will I get along with Nathan...that when we went to leave today I almost drove off without Aspen! Her foot was in the car but the door wasn't closed and I started to pull down the driveway and she was yelling "MOM"...so Ken drove to Portland. Did I subconsciously want to leave her behind to protect her? No, I think I was just way too anxious about the day.

I fidgeted and stretched and did all the little nervous things...tapped my fingers, bounced my legs, ran my fingers through my hair a thousand times, tried to sing the songs on the radio...all the while driving the people around me crazy. We got to the hospital and I suddenly had purpose in my life again for about 10 minutes, but quickly found out they were running WAY behind on the MRIs so we waited over two hours...trying to read, trying to sleep, trying to start a conversation that my mind wasn't on, get up, go to the bathroom and start all over...trying to read, trying to visit, etc, etc.

When we finally got called in they got the IV started almost painlessly and the MRI technician was the best we have ever had so that went really smoothly. All the waiting meant we were also an hour and 15 minutes late for our doctors appointment, but they had called ahead to let them know. We got up to the doctors and the receptionist was just waiting on us to arrive so she could go home, followed by the nurse who checks people in, and the doctor had no other patients other than us so we got right in! Have I mentioned how ridiculously nice they are?

So the verdict is that it's amazing that she has been symptom free all summer despite eating junk for 3 months straight. He believes that if it was anything horrible that she wouldn't be feeling this well. We got the results from the auto-immune disorder blood tests and they are all negative. We are waiting for the MRI results...please be nothing there, please be nothing there...and he opted for no blood work unless he sees the tumor. So, another opportunity for a miracle is knocking on our door, how many opportunities does a person get? That's an interesting thing to consider, it sure seems like we have had a lot!

Dinner with my biological father was really nice. It was uncanny, we walked in the door of the restaurant and the maitre d' knew exactly who was waiting for us without us even saying a word. It seems I have married my father...never mind that I never knew him, he and Ken are twins with the exception of the nose and the age difference. And to think I think Freud is overrated! We got along great and had lots to talk about, it didn't seem awkward at all.

And to top off the evening...Ken still has a job!

What a day, what a day...we are blessed, but I'm in no hurry to have another day like this any time soon.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I'm glad everything seems well so far, and thanks for updating. The Freudian thing is funny. My dad and Rob look stunningly similar too! Crazy huh?

Robyn

Anonymous said...

THANK GOD!!!! I'm still praying!!!!